Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Karate

My only encounter with this martial art was way back when I was in second grade, and it lasted just three months. As far as I can remember, I quit before I got a belt (That's right; I quit). But I did learn a bit of Karate while I was at it back then. I learnt how to punch and how to kick. Well, that isn't much to speak of, but at least I can say this when I see anyone fighting - 'Hey, I know that! I had paid to learn that!'

I don't get the thing with Karate. Most of my friends who are black belts in Karate tell me that it is more an art to them than a fighting technique. Well, I wonder whatever happened to dancing, singing, painting that we now have to visualize fights as art too. People who have never done Karate in their life tell me it is necessary for self defense. I fail to appreciate this. I don't expect to have the House-of-flying-daggers type killers trying to kill me for which I may have to learn Karate to put up an impressive fight, pun intended. The most likely ways in which ordinary folks like you and me can be killed are by accident. Now don't tell me you are going to kick the heck out of a car when it's about to hit you. Others tell me that it is a way of maintaining your body, balance and improving concentration and focus. Whatever happened to less violent methods like gymming and dancing?

What bugs me most is to see old people practising martial arts after retirement. Taekwondo, Karate and the like. I have a theory here. I believe the old people are short of money after their retirement. And they plan to attack us able bodied fellows one fine day and run away with our money. Quite obviously the senior citizens are waiting their time patiently to stuff our money in their bags and make a dash. And I pity most of you who are wasting their time working hard to earn money while the uncles and aunties are silently preparing for the war. And I pity myself more for knowing this, but still not getting the hang of Karate. I wonder which group is Sam in.

It isn't long before the people who are learning Karate instead of working hard to live good lives will attack us and run away with our money. Don't say I didn't warn you.

5 comments:

Bastet said...

Ki na typical Baab waali baat! :P Are you opinionated!! FYI, mot martial art forms evolved as a means of self-defense, not attack. And, while majority of us may die due to accidents, there are equally high number of people getting mugged, assaulted, raped etc.. Dont tell me you dont have to learn self-defense. And, trust me, it is an art. Did you get to see the Kalaripayattu which was performed during MoodI last year? It is graceful, like dance, but dance cant help you beat the shit out of a guy who threatens you on a lonely street. And, why do you feel it is violent? Do you really feel people beat up each other during the classes?? wake up, Sid baab! :D Most of the practice is done alone, as in without a partner [you should be knowing this, given you attended classes] And, gymming might help you develop muscles but there are of no use if you cant strike fast enough. Above all, karate [or any other martial art] truly helps to achieve mind body coordination, along with being a self defense form and an excellent cardio workout. Now, if some people want to choose it over gymming, wht's ur big crib! :P

Sid said...

One post she admires the Scott Adams influence and the next she calls me opinionated! Bah! :P

Sid said...

One more thing.. no guy would dare assault me on a lonely street. :)

Bastet said...

Lol ! disgruntled baab! :P Well, Who said Scott Adams wasn't opinionated!! :D I said the influence was evident in the style of writing, but, then, I never agree with all tht Adams says , n same applies to you, Clone :D

Bastet said...

lol.. dont be sure of it, buddy.. I have heard some horrible real-life stories which have made my hair curl. Hope it never happens, but, well, nothing in life is a certainity, is it!