Saturday, October 20, 2007

Hope

I was recently at my cousin's place for a family get together and was relaxing in their patio after a sumptuous dinner party. The stars were out and were pulsating, blinking as if they were warming up for a grandiose exhibition eventually. The scattered cirrus couldn't dampen the tenor of the hour. The moon was in a playful mood, peeping through whatever clouds that subsisted on an otherwise clear winter night, and hurriedly rushing for cover when beheld.

My cousin happened to spot me reposing thus. "So, what is my bro thinking about?" She asked.

"Oh nothing, just appreciating the tranquility after dark. Isn't it apt that the moon is associated with calmness and peace of mind?"

"Yes, that's right. And so too with lunatics and the like. Is this the reason why you are thinking about this?", she quipped.

"Well, perhaps. Jokes apart, do you think man ever landed on the moon?"

"Of course I do. Don't you believe so? Or do you uphold all those conspiracy theories and what not?"

"Well, I don't mean to be a sceptic here, nor do I wish to spoil the mood; but the moon looks to be such a serene place, an embodiment of peace itself; a tranquil world if I may. Doesn't it seem weird that humankind, which is these days so bereft of all these qualities, could reach such a place?"

"And what seems to be the point here?"

"None. It is just that we should perhaps focus more on the symbolism associated with the moon and take inspiration to improve matters down here, than trying to complicate matters up there."

"And how is this related to man's landing on the moon?"

"I don't know. I somehow believe we should focus on more pressing matters than concentrating on mere facades to humour ourselves. Of course the vox populi seems to disagree with me on this."

"You and your stupid thoughts! Anyway, I'll catch you in a moment; have to give these keys to father," and she left.

Left alone was I to my stars, the moon and the looming darkness. The lights in the hall were switched off and the darkness seemed to be getting even closer. I happened to take a quick glance at the moon as it again sought cover behind a sparse cloud. And that happened to be the hallmark of the evening for me - no matter how dense the darkness approaching me, no matter how dark the lining be, the clouds shall always be silver for me.

2 comments:

Bastet said...

hmm... big big words, Sid baab... can't believe thou art not preparing for the GRE :D [i.e., Vocab tends dangerously close to that of the 'GRE-preparing' population :D] Jokes apart, nice train of thought. True, for me too, the Moon symbolises tranquility. Not just that but also a steady perseverance. No matter how much it wanes, it waxes again, steadily, to reach it's peak of glory. And, tho misfortune befalls again, causing it to diminish, it springs back yet again, undeterred. :)

Sid said...

@CB

Oh yes that too... hope and steady perseverence; don't we imply one when we mention the other? :)